Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Introduction to Solfeggio and the Instruments

     I showed all of my students a music clip from the movie classic, The Sound of Music, called "Do-Re-Mi" -- can you tell it's one of my all-time favorite movies?

Solfeggio

In this clip, it introduces the concept of naming pitches in a major scale "non-sensical" words to create different melodies.


     I have a poster of the solfeggio with hand-signs in my classroom, for reference.

I focused on this lesson on only Do, Mi- and Sol.  I did not really explain what I was doing, but instead just said "sol" with the hand signal and asked the children to copy me.  After a few repetitions, I added in "mi," then finally "do" -- all in speaking voices, no singing yet!  I mixed up the hand signals, saying it with the children a few times before dropping out and simply showing the hand signals while they did and said the solfeggio.  Once I felt they had a grasp on the hand signs and names, I went to the piano and played a D major triad (this seems to be a very good key for children to sing in).  I started with "Sol" on A4, singing down to "Mi" on F#4.  I changed between those notes a few times until the children seemed to get the minor third before adding in "Do" on D4.  I was careful only to do the exercise for a few minutes -- if I drill something too much it no longer becomes challenging and fun, but instead tiresome.  After successfully completing this exercise, I made sure to use Kagan praise strategies to reward the children!

Instruments

I had the children transition to Orff instruments and had them find C, E, and G.  They practiced transitioning from one note to another, and when I felt they had a basic idea of where to find the bars, I challenged them to follow my hand signs -- whenever I did a "Do" hand sign, they would play C, for "Mi" they would play E, and for "Sol" they would play G.  I proceeded to show them the hand signs in a variety of orders and they all, for the most part, were successfully able to follow my direction and play the notes according to the hand signs I showed them!  This helped to reinforce the sound of a major triad, and I could see many of the children having an "a-ha!" moment as they recognized that this is what they had been singing earlier, albeit in a different key.

Here is one of my third grade classes!


Amazing for the very first time being introduced to solfeggio AND for playing on the Orff instruments!  I could not be more proud.

Standards Being Met

Kindergarten

MU.K.S.3.1, MU.K.S.3.3
Sing age-appropriate songs using proper vocal technique.

First Grade

MU.1.S.3.2
Play three-to-five note melodies on classroom instruments.
MU.1.S.3.3, MU.1.S.3.5
Respond to la-sol-mi patterns by singing and representing them visually.

Second Grade

MU.2.S.3.1
Sing age-appropriate songs using proper vocal technique.
MU.2.S.3.3
Sight-sing simple melodies.

Third Grade

MU.3.S.3.3
Sight-sing pentatonic melodies.

Fourth Grade

MU.4.S.3.3
Sight-sing pentatonic melodies.

Fifth Grade

MU.5.S1.4
Sing melodies learned by ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment